Eerie Emails

So today, I got an email from December 31st, 1969.
There was no sender. No subject.

I deleted it and left. Came back into my emails and there it was again.

I deleted it again. And left again. Checked again and there it was. AGAIN.

So I left and freaked out.

When I checked again, it was gone.

All my other emails are normal. Except one I had deleted that morning was there again. Only one of many I had deleted.

A glitch?

Sounds like the start of a good horror story, but after I considered all magical, time travel, moon-landings, and other freaky solutions, I tossed around a fun plot based on this notion... and well, then I googled it, which seems to be what I do when I freak out about anything.

After going over all the cool things that happened that day in history, I discovered I was not alone in receiving such emails. Which kinda took the magic out of it.

I found this explanation: ghost email explained and HERE. Which basically says if you check your emails in another timezone you could mess up the UNIX time on your device (Explains the UNIX time) and so it resets to the basic data time of Dec 31, 1969 or Jan 1, 1970 on your device, depending on where you are in the world. This especially happens when you travel from different time zones. I hadn't, but sure. Let's go with that.

Of course, that doesn't explain why I would get an email with that date. I mean, sure my time might reset, but why would I get a blank email from no sender with no subject? What is in my phone creating ghost emails? I mean, I find it taxing enough to make emails, now my phone is just making them up on its own!? That is a strange glitch that I need explained...

On the flip side, it does say this issue is supposed to be fixed with the new updates. I just did my new update, so maybe not yet. I'll give it time...

Now that I'm calm, it's really not a problem, I'll just ignore them. Reset my phone. And forget about it. Right? I mean that's what all writers do when faced with freaky-ass things.

Did this ever happen to you? Did you have ideas about what might be going on? Should I expect it to happen again? Anybody know who to call?

6 comments:

Misha Gerrick said...

My mom had one better.

She got mails from the FUTURE. As in... The day's date, but from 2050.

We kept waiting for the lotto numbers to come in, but no such luck.

;-)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Wow, that is so freaky and spooky. I've never had either one happen -- an email from a date in the past OR future -- but I do think it makes for a wonderful eerie story. It doesn't even have to be horror, it can just be eerie and scary. Go for it!

Theresa Milstein said...

I like the idea of having a story with emails from the past. Maybe a way to solve a crime today? Hear from the victim or the wrongly accused. Or maybe that person is an unreliable narrator, sending the main character in harm's way. The possibilities...

I would've been weirded out to get those emails too.

Crystal Collier said...

I love that idea as a story concept. It could be totally cool and way creepy. Weird glitch though. Electronics can be so buggy. Why can't they just work like they're supposed to, eh?

DUTA said...

Never got an email like that, but I know emails in general are no laughing matter and can cause surprises.
Ask Hillary about it. I'm sure that until the election day we're going to hear some more about the weird 'email affair'.

Suzi said...

Wow, I've never heard of that before. It is a little spooky. And I don't have the slightest clue where you'd go to stop it from happening.