A Peach Almost Killed Me

I was an accident prone child. I am still a klutz, a gal gets used to it.

Probably the weirdest thing that just about killed me was the peach. I remember it in detail even though I was probably only three at the time. We had a new car and Dad bought a box of peaches on the way home. We stopped at a Drive-In A&W. (back then we didn't have drive-thru but drive-in; we pulled up, rolled down the window, someone took the order and brought the food to the car, on a red tray that hung on the window. Very cool. I remember every detail that matters.)

So anyway, this new car had a new feature; windows that rolled down with a button!!! The buttons for these were on the armrest of the door.

So my dad gives me a peach and tells me to bite into it. I'd never had such a thing but it smelled great. I bit into it and was shocked. It felt like a caterpillar was in my mouth! I rushed to spit it out, but didn't want to spit in the new car so I spit it out the window. Standing on the armrest. I must have stood on the buttons for the window because it started to close on me.

New things are sometimes confusing and there was a lot of screaming going on... and panicking. None of it from me. Still the window kept closing on me until I passed out.

I woke up in Hell. For those of you who have never been, it's a white room with florescent lights that pulsate and a demon woman tries to shove something up your bum, and if you fight her, she will restrain you.  Not a cool place. Someone saved me from it because when  I came to again, I was home on the couch with Dad. There were no peaches in the house, and I never got to eat another one until I moved out.

I have never just bit into one since, though-- that would be suicide. I always peel them, cut them and share them in a wide open space where spitting is allowed.

Anything weird almost take your life?

6 comments:

vbtremper said...

LOLOL! Do you still go in cars that have windows that open with a button? Enjoy the next peach! Yum.

-Vicki

Richard Hughes said...

When I was in the navy, I got seasick after eating spaghetti for lunch and needless to say I couldn't keep it down. It wasn't until after I was married a few years later that I could eat spaghetti again.

Tanya Lynne Reimer said...

Oddly enough, I do, Vbtremper, but I am paranoid about it when the kids play with the windows.

Yes, Richard, that horror lingers for years. Funny how it haunts us.

Jon said...

What a horrifying and truly unusual story! It puts peaches and car windows into a whole new perspective.

Once, long ago, I was eating soup with very stale crackers - and I suddenly discovered that there were worms in the crackers!
I didn't eat another cracker again for over fifteen years.

Diane Wilson said...

Wow! I've never heard of quite a story before. That kind of made me laugh, and I'm so sorry. Hahaha! I bet the new used car's windows traumatized you after that. I would probably try my hardest to keep my kids away from the powered windows, if that happened to me as well. Hopefully, your kids understand why you're so scared of them playing with the windows. Take care! :)

Diane Wilson @ Fletcher Chrysler

Suzi said...

Wow. That is kind of scary. I don't run into bugs much with fresh fruit.

The only exception would be raspberries. It's better to not pay attention when you're picking and eating them. I know I've ate many bugs off them. At least they're small.